Float Plane by Fishing Dock in Front of Lodge

Frequently Asked Questions

We hope that these tips and helpful reminders will make your vacation a fantastic experience and that once is not enough, and you will be back.
For the first time posted this information on the website and if there are ideas to add to this, please let us know. In conclusion, we hope you join us on a wilderness fishing adventure in Northern Ontario that you wont forget!

DUI & Border Crossing?

The first thing to figure out is whether you are criminally inadmissible. What do you think you have on your record? Joel Theriault is a 3rd generation outfitter / bushpilot / lawyer and can probably assist you with this process.

In general a felony in the US is comparable to an indictable offence in Canada, but there are many crimes considered to be more serious in Canada, drinking and driving being the most common.   The biggest question is how many issues are on your record, and how long ago were they resolved, and how they were legally resolved. Were they pled down to a lower charge, were they expunged after you completed probation, etc?

The following text in italics is directly from the CIC website.

In general, you are considered to be criminally inadmissible if the person:
• was convicted of an offence in Canada;
• was convicted of an offence outside of Canada that is considered a crime in Canada;

If you were convicted of an offence outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would be an indictable offence punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than ten years:
• You are deemed rehabilitated: at least ten years after completion of the sentence imposed.
• You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation: five (5) years after completion of the sentence imposed.

If you were convicted of an offence or you committed an offence outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would be punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of ten years or more:
• You are deemed rehabilitated: not applicable.
• You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation: five (5) years from completion of the sentence or commission of the offence.
If you were convicted for two (2) or more offences outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would constitute summary conviction offences:
• You are deemed rehabilitated: at least five (5) years after the sentences imposed were served or to be served.

Its not the jail time served or the possible sentence in the US, its how the offence would be handled in Canada which requires a review and comparison of the Canadian Criminal Code. If you give me an idea what you think might be on your record, I can probably tell you pretty quickly whether you’re admissible, inadmissible, or deemed rehabilitated. If your deemed rehabilitated (or not criminally inadmissible), I’ll let you know at no cost on my end as well as give you guidance for what to gather for your trip.

The first thing to understand is that if you are criminally inadmissible to Canada, and don’t do any paperwork, there are several things that can happen at the border.

You could
– get to the gates and they waive you through (6 out of 10 times)
– get to the gates and they scan everyone’s passports, see the record and waive you through (1 out of 10 times)
– get to the gates and they scan everyone’s passports, at which point they bring you into the office for further discussions where they can
a) waive you through for free (1 out of 10 times)
b) indicate that you can pass for a single trip for $200 (1 out of 10 times)
c) tell the group that they can continue, but you cannot enter and must be brought back for the US (1 out of 10 times)

If you’ve been turned around already, and continue to attempt border crossing, it will eventually result in being deported, which means additional forms, additional applications, and additional time and cost to resolve.

Unfortunately, the decision isn’t yours and there’s no true review at the border, no appeal, no asking for a supervisor, no demanding to pay the $200 fee for a single pass, etc. It’s completely discretionary and sadly seems to be randomly dependent on the individual border guard’s mood at that moment. If he’s having a bad day, you probably will as well. It’s not your decision unfortunately, and you don’t have the option to demand a one time temporary pass to enjoy your pre-paid vacation (even if it’s a non-refundable deposit for the trip).

To take the stress out of border crossing, I suggest we file the proper paperwork with the Canadian Consulate office requesting a letter of admissibility into Canada for your future trips. Depending on the type of type of issues, and how long ago everything connected with the convictions was resolved (i.e. fines paid, probation completed etc), you would be either eligible for a temporary or a permanent solution.

So long as more than 5 years have passed since the completion of any court imposed sanction, your eligible for a permanent solution.

For additional information in regards to this process please reach out by phone or email to me.
Joel Theriault

Last Minute Travel Checklist

Air Ivanhoe Limited Checklist 2019

FOR US CUSTOMERS TRAVELING THROUGH THE BORDER: Your passport is required, if bringing children (letter from the parent at home.) Please refer to General Information for all US Guests.
WHAT NOT TO BRING INTO CANADA: Handguns, assault rifles, spring assisted pocket knives, pepper/bear spray, Radar detector.
FOR ALL CUSTOMERS: House and spare car keys, prescription medication (if necessary), first aid kit, spare reading glasses or contacts.
CLOTHING: Bathing suit, coat/jacket, pajamas, shirts, light colored clothing attracts less bugs, slacks/shorts, sportswear, sweat & tee shirts, belt, gloves, hat, raingear, sandals/extra running-tennis shoes, boots, socks, underwear, sunglasses, and sweater.
RECREATIONAL GEAR: Books, Camera (including digital/video), film and spare batteries, small boat cooler, portable music player, paper/pen, games/cards, Binoculars (optional), Fishing rods/reels/tackle, fillet knife, mosquito coils, bug spray and Duct tape.
TOILETRIES: Comb/Brush, Cosmetics, Deodorant, Electric razor, Feminine Hygiene products (if a female), hand/body lotion, lip balm, mouthwash, nail clippers, shampoo/conditioner, shaving kit, soap, sunscreen, tissues, toothbrush/toothpaste. Also for insect bites bring rubbing alcohol, it really helps to cut the itch.
HEALTH & EMERGENCY SUPPLIES: Medication/Decongestants, Antihistamines/allergy medicine, Hydrogen Peroxide & rubbing alcohol, tool kit, diarrhea drugs, Hydrocortisone creams, motion sickness remedies, pain relievers (Tylenol etc), prescriptions, sewing kit, insect repellant, and a first aid kit.
MISCELLANEOUS: Childs favorite toy/blanket, clothespins, pocket knife, can opener, corkscrew, diapers if necessary, earplugs, dish and hand soap/detergent, travel alarm clock, ear plugs and a bandanna and wide brimmed hat for keeping the sun off your neck and face.

OUTPOST NEEDS: Food, sleeping bag, pillowcase, flashlight & batteries, fishing tackle, axe & small saw, lantern with fuel, lighter, matches, and your favorite pillow (optional), beach, bath, and hand towels.
FOOD: Paper products including plates/cups/bowls/towels, toilet paper, Zip lock bags (for fish), fresh produce to include: Apples, Bananas, Carrots, Onions, (Because of a food restriction on potatoes into Ontario please pick them up in Canada, or you can buy potatoes from us when you arrive), Cucumbers, grapes, Lemons, Oranges, Lettuce, Tomatoes. Snacks should include chips, cookies, nuts, pretzels, and popcorn. Pancake mix/syrup. Salt & Pepper, Soup, cooking oil, bisquik, pre cooked sauces (chili/spaghetti/lasagna), fish breading/batter, cornmeal, flour, sugar/coffee creamer, coffee/tea, hot chocolate, water/juice/soft drinks, bread/rolls/buns, breakfast cereal, crackers, pasta, rice, canned fruits/vegetables, ketchup/mustard/relish, pickles, peanut butter/jelly, mayonnaise, tarter sauce, salad dressing, spices/herbs, vinegar, butter/margarine, Cheese, bacon/eggs, milk, sour cream/yogurt, canned beans, hot dogs/hamburgers, sandwich meats, beef/chicken/pork, aluminum foil, trash bags (heavy duty).
CLEANING SUPPLIES: Dishwashing detergents, scrub pads, dish towels/dish cloths, oven cleaner, paper towels. And Windex with ammonia is wonderful and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges.
Fly in’s WHAT NOT TO BRING ON AN AIRCRAFT: Huge coolers over 50 quarts, boxes over 70 lbs, rods over 8 feet, lead batteries with acid, pepper/bear spray. Pepper spray in an aircraft is very dangerous; we can only carry this in our float compartments not inside the plane.
FLY IN NEEDS: Food, clothing, rain gear, flashlight & spare batteries, fishing tackle, lighter/matches, and your favorite pillow (optional), and your beach towel.
FOOD: Paper products including plates/cups/bowls/towels, Zip lock bags (for fish), fresh produce to include: Apples, Bananas, Carrots, Onions, Purchase your Potatoes in Canada due to food restrictions and we also have them available at the base), Cucumbers, grapes, Lemons, Oranges, Lettuce, Tomatoes. Snacks including chips, cookies, nuts, pretzels and popcorn. Pancake mix/syrup. Salt & Pepper, Soup, cooking oil, bisquik, pre cooked sauces (chili/spaghetti/lasagna), fish breading/batter, cornmeal, flour, sugar/coffee creamer, coffee/tea, hot chocolate, water/juice/soft drinks, bread/rolls/buns, breakfast cereal, crackers, pasta, rice, canned fruits/vegetables, ketchup/mustard/relish, pickles, peanut butter/jelly, mayonnaise, tarter sauce, salad dressing, spices/herbs, vinegar, butter/margarine, Cheese, bacon /eggs, milk, sour cream/yogurt, canned beans, hot dogs/hamburgers, sandwich meats, beef/chicken/pork, aluminum foil, trash bags (heavy duty).
CLEANING SUPPLIES: Windex with ammonia is wonderful and Mr Clean magic Eraser sponges. We will supply dish soap in the cabin. We also supply dish towels, and tea towels.
NEEDS: Food, clothing/rain gear, flashlight & batteries, Fishing Tackle, lighter/matches.
FOOD: Paper products including plates/cups/bowls/towels, Zip lock bags (for fish), fresh produce to include: Apples, Bananas, Carrots, Onions, Potatoes should be purchased in Ontario, they are also available from the base, Cucumbers, grapes, Lemons, Oranges, Lettuce, Tomatoes. Snacks including chips, cookies, nuts, pretzels and popcorn. Pancake mix/syrup. Salt & Pepper, Soup, cooking oil, bisquik, pre cooked sauces (chili/spaghetti/lasagna), fish breading/batter, cornmeal, flour, sugar/coffee creamer, coffee/tea, hot chocolate, water/juice/soft drinks, bread/rolls/buns, breakfast cereal, crackers, pasta, rice, canned fruits/vegetables, ketchup/mustard/relish, pickles, peanut butter/jelly, mayonnaise, tarter sauce, salad dressing, spices/herbs, vinegar, butter/margarine, Cheese, bacon //eggs, milk, sour cream/yogurt, canned beans, hot dogs/hamburgers, sandwich meats, beef/chicken/pork, aluminum foil, trash bags (heavy duty).
CLEANING SUPPLIES: Windex with ammonia is wonderful and Mr Clean magic Eraser sponges. We will supply dish soap in the cabin. We also supply dish towels, and tea towels.

NEEDS: Our American plan packages are all inclusive, however please refer to what all US customers should bring including border/customs information and what not to Bring into Canada. For All Customers, Clothing, Recreational Gear, Toiletries, Health and Emergency Supplies, and Miscellaneous items listed on page 1 of the checklist. In addition to this information please have a flashlights, batteries, Fishing Tackle gear, a lighter & matches.

Passports and Border Crossing

There is no absolute rule requiring US citizens to have a passport to enter Canada, or for re-entry into the USA but we would strongly recommend it to prevent delays or being turned around for failing to properly support your identity to the border guards.  According to the Canadian government, “A passport is recommended because it is the only reliable and universally-accepted travel and identification document for the purpose of international travel.”  (http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html)       

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the U.S. are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the U.S.   (https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/know-before-you-visit  )  Technically, US residents do not need a passport for reentry into the USA, although we would strongly recomend one or some similar type of tavel document.  According to the US Government, “United States (U.S.) LPRs do not need a passport to enter the U.S. as per 8 CFR 211.1(a), however, they may need a passport to enter another country.”(https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1191/kw/traveling%20outside%20of%20the%20US%20documents%20needed  )  The following link will dive further into acceptable documents to support your identity and also requirements to enter into Canada  (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1116&top=16)

Travelling With Minors

According to the Canadian government, “We recommend that parents who share custody of their children carry copies of their legal custody documents, such as custody rights. If you share custody and the other parent is not travelling with you, or if you are travelling with minors for whom you are not the parent or legal guardian, we recommend you carry a consent letter to provide authorization for you to take them on a trip and enter Canada.  A consent letter must include the custodial parents’ or legal guardians’ full name, address and telephone number. Some travellers choose to have the consent letter notarized, to further support its authenticity, especially if they are undertaking a significant trip and want to avoid any delay.  When travelling with a group of vehicles, parents or guardians should arrive at the border in the same vehicle as their children or any minors they are accompanying.”  Additional information can be found at the following link  (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1022&top=16)

Travelling With Pets

All of Air Ivanhoe’s adventures are pet friendly.  To bring your dog across the border for the trip, the animal will need a valid rabies certificate.    According to the Canadian government,    (http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pets/dogs/eng/1331876172009/1331876307796    )       “Dogs may enter Canada if they are accompanied by a rabies vaccination certificate.

Rabies Vaccination Certificate

The European Union pet passport is an acceptable alternative to the rabies vaccination certificate as long as all the required elements outlined below are included.

The rabies vaccination certificate must:

be written in English or French;

be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;

identify the animal (breed, sex, colour, and weight);

state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;

indicate the date of vaccination;

indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and

specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).   


Travelling with Dog Food?

According to the Canadian government, “Travellers may bring into Canada a personal import of pet food (limit of 20 kg), if the import meets all of the following requirements:

The pet food or product must be of United States origin and be commercially packaged.

The pet food or product must be in the possession of the traveller at the time of entry from the U.S.

The animal that will eat the imported product must accompany the traveller at the time of entry.

The imported product is fed only to the animal that accompanied the traveller into Canada.”         


The office opens at 6.30 AM Friday, 6 AM Saturday, 7 AM on Sunday and 8 AM Monday through Thursday. If you arrive during the night feel free to park or camp at the base. We will fly (weather permitting) on a first come first serve basis. This applies for parties that for example are scheduled to fly in Saturday Morning. If you are scheduled for a PM flight, it is the same idea. The first PM arrival flies in after the AM flights are complete. Exceptions: Tenting and charter parties fly when OUR camps are finished. We recommend for these groups that our schedule usually opens up after lunch Friday/Saturday and Sunday. We try to send both floatplanes to Nemegosenda Lake lodge at 7 AM on Saturday and we need 8 persons ready for 7 AM Saturday morning. Once we have done the initial flight into Nemegosenda Lake Lodge we leave one DHC-2 Beaver aircraft on the Nemegosenda changeover and utilize the other aircraft for our Saturday AM flights. A number of parties arrive the night before their departure, and the first AM flight should be ready to fly by 8 AM for the regular camp turnover. This is important because most of the parties that are out at the lakes are waiting with their gear on the dock to depart and all have long drives to get home. If our first party is not ready to go, then this causes us to make everyone behind you to wait. On the following week rotation the same will apply to you, so if you do not want to be party #1 please let us know and we will rotate someone else that will be ready to go.

Restaurants Hours

The restaurant is open to the public on Thursday from 5PM-9.00 PM and Friday and Saturday from 6.30 AM –9.00 PM and Sunday from 6.30AM-2PM. The restaurant is closed during all other times. We have a license to serve alcohol and it is open from 11 AM until closing. All alcohol can be consumed only in the lodge in designated areas or on the deck. No alcohol is permitted in the parking lot. Please do not bring your alcohol into the licensed lounge. This is against the law. Also please remember that although we have a liquor license we close early, since our prime focus on our business is running an airline. This can co-exist together, however we are up early and working at getting our aircraft into the air for your vacation.


The vast majority of our guests for both fishing and hunting do a “semi-guided” trip which means that we will work with them in the office prior to heading into the wilderness in regards to fishing / hunting locations and techniques.  We do have several who are incredibly competent as fishing or hunting guides however, availability is limited so definitely organize a guide well ahead of time if you feel that you truly need the extra assistance.  Budget 200 – 500 / day for the guide depending on the time involved and the age / experience of the guide.

Helpful Tips


When traveling to Canada, customs is a concern, but following a few simple guidelines, crossing the border can be a smooth quick procedure.


Be sure to have a valid driver’s license and vehicle registration form and proof of insurance.
Possession of radar detection devices are illegal in Ontario.
Empty beer and spirits bottles/cans can be evidence of drinking and driving in Ontario.


Note your travel time, and planned route.
Leave a copy of your itinerary with someone at home.


It is recommended that you convert to Canadian funds after crossing the border.
Banks and currency exchanges will give good exchange rates for a small fee.
Air Ivanhoe always offers a fair exchange on currency.


U.S. visitors can claim exemption from provinces for lodging, sales tax and partial refund of the Federal Goods and Services Tax (GST). Detailed information can be obtained at the border and from Air Ivanhoe.


Make arrangements before you leave for a phone number where messages can be left in the case of Emergencies.


Be prepared for a variety of weather conditions. Bring extra clothes and rainsuits.
Bring an extra rod, reel, fishing line and a large supply of lures.
Bring an ample supply of prescription medications and a doctor’s note describing the condition.
Bring a camera, film and extra batteries.


If you are bringing fish or game home, it is important to follow Ontario’s regulations closely. Wrap game to specifications and do not bring any illegal animal parts back into the United States. If you have fish, leave a piece of skin on for identification. Wrap one fish per package, and pack only the number of legal fish per person in the vehicle. If you are with a large group, do not put everyone’s fish in one vehicle. Also remember what the fishing regulations are in your home area.

Some of the following was taken from Tourism Canada’s Travel Information for Visitors from the U.S.A.


All US Citizens of the United States do require passports or visas and can usually cross the U.S.-Canada border without difficulty or delay. To assist officers in expediting the process, especially to reenter the United States, native-born citizens should carry a passport or enhanced state ID. Most folks from bordering states can have an enhanced drivers licence issued which is adequate for driving into Canada..  Naturalized U.S. citizens should carry a naturalization certificate or other evidence of citizenship as well as the above documents. Legal, permanent residents of the United States who are not U.S. citizens are advised to carry their Alien Reg. Receipt Card (U.S. Form 1-151 or Form 1-551) as well as a passport. Persons under 18 years of age who are not accompanied by both parents should bring a letter from the parent that is not travelling with you giving them permission to enter Canada.


The entry of vehicles and vacation trailers into Canada for touring purposes is generally a quick and routine matter. Customs permits, if required, are issued at the time of entry. Rental vehicles or trailers are also admissible, however the vehicle registration forms should be carried together with a copy of the rental agency. Visitors entering Canada with vehicles not registered to themselves should carry a letter from the owner indicating authorized use of the vehicle. Note: Guidelines for entry by private aircraft or boats are also available from Tourism Canada.


Visitors may bring personal baggage into Canada duty and tax-free, provided all such items are declared to Canadian Customs on arrival and are not subject to restriction. Personal baggage may include such items as: fishing tackle, boats, motors, snowmobiles, camping, golf, tennis and scuba diving gear, radios, television sets, cameras and other similar items to be used in Canada during the visit. Alcoholic beverages may be brought into Canada duty-free if visitors meet the minimum age requirement of the province of Ontario at time of entry (19 years). The amount cannot exceed 1.1 litres (40 ounces) of liquors or 24 x 355 ml (12 ounce) cans or bottles of beer, ale or the equivalent. Additional quantities of alcoholic beverages,up to a maximum of nine litres (two gallons), may be imported into Ontario Canada,upon payment of duty and taxes plus provincial fees at the port of entry. Persons 16 years of age or over may import 50 cigars, 200 cigarettes and 2 lbs. of manufactured tobacco duty-free. Federal duty and taxes apply to additional quantities. Subject to some restrictions, visitors may bring food with them for their own use, without Customs assessment, provided the quantity is consistent with the duration and nature of the visitor’s stay. Gasoline and oil brought into Canada for consumption is dutiable. Reasonable quantities for tourist use, such as gas and oil used to the normal capacity of the vehicle are granted free entry.


All animals, plants, vegetables, fruit and meat (and any product of these) must be declared to Canadian Customs upon entry to the country. Personal fruits and vegetables for your consumption can be brought into Canada and if customes asks you can tell them what you have brought for your consumption.


Domestic dogs and cats may be brought into Canada provided each animal is accompanied by a licensed veterinarian certificate identifying the animal and certifying the dog or cat has been vaccinated against rabies during the preceding 36-month period. Puppies and kittens under three months of age and dogs for the visually impaired may enter with their owners without certification. Further information is available on other animals.


Handguns are not allowed entry into Canada. Firearms are divided into the following three categories:

Prohibited firearms are those that are capable of firing bullets in rapid succession during one pressure of the trigger and any that have been adapted from a rifle or shotgun so that its barrel measures less than 18 inches or is less than 26 inches overall in length. Restricted firearms include any designed or intended to be fired by one hand, any with a barrel less than 18.5 inches capable of firing centerfire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner and any that can be fired when reduced to a length less than 26 inches by folding or telescoping. Tourists cannot import restricted weapons. Long guns (regular rifles and shotguns) may be imported with a permit by visitors over 16 years old. All visitors must declare all firearms to Canadian Customs. Most provinces and territories have regulations concerning the transportation of firearms. Visitors should check with the province. Forms necessary to enter Ontario are posted on our website.



200 rounds of ammunition for hunting purposes can be imported duty free.


Hunting is governed by federal, provincial and territorial laws. Non-residents are required to obtain a hunting/fishing license from the province of Ontario. When hunting migratory game birds, a federal migratory game bird hunting permit is also required. This permit is available at most Canadian post offices. In many of Canada’s provincial parks, reserves and adjacent areas, the entry of any type of weapon is forbidden. Fishing is also governed by federal, provincial and territorial laws. No permit is required to import fishing tackle for personal use. Foreign fishing guides are not permitted to work in Canada without an employment authorization card.


American driver’s licenses are valid in Canada for varying periods of time in each province.


Vehicle insurance is compulsory in Canada. Visiting motorists are required to produce evidence of financial responsibility in the event of an accident. Minimum liability in Canada is $200,000.00. Your US insurance is adequate in Canada, as long as it carries the minimum liability insurance.


The Canadian Automobile Association provides full membership services to members of the American Association. Visiting members are entitled to travel information, itineraries, maps, tour books, road and weather conditions, hotel reservations and emergency travel services. For more information, contact the Canadian Automobile Association, 1775 Courtwood Crescent, Ottawa, Ontario K2C 3J2. Phone: 613- 225-7631.


The possession and use of radar detection services are illegal in Ontario. It is suggested these units be rendered inoperative and placed inside luggage.


The use of seat belts by vehicle drivers and all passengers is compulsory in all of Ontario.


Gasoline and oil are sold in Canada by the litre. One U.S. gallon equals 3.78 litres. Prices vary in each province, but overall the prices are higher than current U.S. pump prices. Diesel fuel is available on major highways and in large urban centers.


Most Canadian traffic signs use similar symbols to U.S. signs, although some may be posted in different colors. Canadian road limits are posted in kilometers per hour (km/h). A comparison of U.S. and Canadian speed limits are as follows: major highways are 100 km/h (60 mph); rural highways are 80 km/h (50 mph); and cities are 50 km/h (30 mph).


It is the responsibility of travelers to satisfy U.S. customs authorities of their rights to reenter the United States, and a passport or enhanced state ID is adequate. The state ID is only adequate if you are driving between Canada and the US.  Reentry can be simplified if travelers keep a list of all purchases, have sales receipts and invoices handy and pack purchases separately for inspection.


U.S. residents returning from Canada after more than 48 hours may take back, duty free, $400 worth of articles for personal or household use. Families may combine their personal exemptions.

Up to 100 cigars, one litre of alcoholic beverages and 200 cigarettes (one carton) per person may be included in the duty-free exemptions. Articles exceeding the exemption will be assessed for duty. U.S. residents visiting Canada for less than 48 hours are allowed to bring back, duty free, $25 worth of articles for personal use, including 50 cigarettes, 10 cigars, four ounces of alcoholic beverages or alcoholic perfume. Excess articles are subject to duty and taxes.


The monetary system in Canada is based on dollars and cents, as in the United States. Exchange rates do vary, so use Canadian money in Canada to avoid exchange problems. While U.S. money is usually accepted in Canada, it is easier for visitors to exchange their funds or travelers checks for Canadian dollars at any Canadian financial institution or exchange booth.


Most American credit cards and principal bank cards are honored in Canada (VISA is most widely accepted). Using credit cards will give you the best exchange rates without a fee. It is recommended that visitors take more than one kind of card. Please note that there is a new add on fee for most credit cards of around 3% and is called a “Foreign Transaction Fee”, so call your credit card company to verify that they do or do not charge the fee. So if you spend $1000 then there would be a $30 fee to use the card.


It is recommended that visitors to Canada obtain travelers health insurance before leaving the United States, since health plans often do not extend coverage for services received outside the country of residence. Visitors may find they have no health insurance or inadequate coverage in Canada.


Canadian hospital and medical services are excellent, but again, travelers health insurance is recommended. Visitors taking prescription medicine should bring a copy of their prescription in case it needs to be refilled.


Canada uses the Metric System. Visitors will hear weather reports given in degrees Celsius, gasoline sold by the litre (milk and wine by milliliters and litres), grocery items in grams and kilograms and clothing sizes in centimeters.


Canadian postal stamps may be used on all mail posted in Canada. Postage stamps can be purchased at post offices and automatic vending machines.


Provincial and territorial highway maps may be obtained from tourist information offices. Maps and charts are available from Energy, Mines and Resources Canada, 615 Booth Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0E9. Phone: 613-952-7000.

Duty Rates



Southwestern Ontario

Box 2280, Walkerville Postal Service, Windsor,
Ontario N8Y 4R8 Phone: 519-973-8500


Guests can bring long guns and archery equipment with them on any of our trips.  Non residents will have to declare all weapons to customs when border crossing.  There is a $25 registration fee for firearms.  This allows each hunter to register up to 3 firearms (no handguns however) and the registration is valid for 6 months.  There are two classes of firearms called “restricted” and “prohibited” weapons which you will want to avoid bringing unless you have some type of special advance clearance.  Basically, leave your handguns, assault rifles, and fully automatic weapons at home if your planning to travel to Canada.  A general list of these prohibited and restricted weapons can be viewed at the following link http://www.firearms-safety-course.com/list-of-restricted-and-prohibited-firearms


Operating from May to November obviously brings every type of weather.  There are some norms, but truly this far north anything can and does happen.  We usually see the ice come off the lakes about May 10 and most of the snow from the woods dissapears about this time.  May can be absolutely beautiful, with weather and waters warm enough for swimming or it can be a frosty blizzard (and both are normal).  June brings more mild temperatures in the 70s and 80s farenheit, but also plenty of insects (or some of which bite like blackflies and mosquitos).  July and August are typically the most beautiful months of the year, with temperatures in the 80s and 90s, fewer blackflies and mosquitos, and some of the longest days of the year (530 am to 1030 pm).  September is a beautiful time of the year, with 70s more common and again very few bugs. October is more typical for 60s, November would be 40s and 50s farenheit.  However, all of these temps are averages, and what to commonly expect.  But, we see swimming weather in November and we see blizzards in July.  Pack for all season clothing.
Click here to check the weather in our area >>> https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-91_metric_e.html

100% Pet Friendly Policy

joel holding dogAll of our packages are pet friendly.  Your expected to clean up the land mines and repair any damage caused by your animals during your trip.  Please take your pets on your adventures instead of leaving them back in the cabin.  Our lodges have cleaning staff, and at these locations there is a charge of $15 / night to have our staff spend the extra time to cleanup.  At the boat in and fly in outposts, the cottages will be clean when you arrive and you will be expected to leave the cabin clean.  Your pets are considered part of your weight on a fly-in fishing trip, and on a boat-in simply put them into the boat and go.  If your headed to a lodge setting, keep in mind that there will likely be other dogs there as well so please ensure that your animal is extremely friendly and well natured to people and other dogs before booking into these locations.  In regards to the lodges, please give us some notice if you are planning to bring your pets so that we can accommodate you in the best possible location with your pets.

What To Bring

Plan on a set of all weather clothing knowing that this far north anything can happen.  Make sure that you bring your passport to get home.  Fishing / hunting equipment depending on your adventure.

Live Bait

We sell live minnows, worms, and leaches from the Ivanhoe River Inn drive in lodge.  Please order your bait several weeks before your trip to ensure that its here when you arrive.  Supplies are of course limited.


Bring the bulk of your groceries with you.  Our closest “grocery” store is about 110kms east in Timmins, and only have basic general stores in our immediate area.  The cost of groceries, gas, and beer goes up about 60% when you cross from USA to Canada, so plan to save some money and bring the bulk of your groceries if your on a housekeeping package

Currency Exchange Rate

Air Ivanhoe accepts both Canadian and US currency and will run the conversion on US dollars into Canadian for you at the lodge if this is your preference.  If you look on google for the US / CDN exchange rate, there are 3 numbers that you will typically find.  The first number you typically see if an average between the buy and sell rate.  Banks usually float about 3% above and below this “average” rate.  If you have Air Ivanhoe do the currency conversion for you, we will exchange your funds in to Canadian with the Canadian “buy” rate in mind, which will generally as I mentioned by about 3% less than the “average” you immediately find on the internet.  The following link will show you the current buy / sell rate for US to CDN funds.


Guests can also pay their trips with major credit cards (VISA / MASTERCARD / AMERICAN EXPRESS) and debit cards.  We accept personal and certified checks but only to prepay the trip well ahead of time.

Payment For Trips

For most trips, we will give guests a few weeks to confirm their trip with a deposit.  We do this to allow groups to sort out vacation schedules with their tentative vacation.  After this point, we do request a deposit of typically $200 / adult for the week.  The rest of the payment for the trip can be done at the lodge.

PAYMENT AT THE LODGE: Cash, Traveler’s checks, Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover and Debit/ Interac (checking account with pin #) cards. Personal checks are only accepted for deposit only. All prices are in Canadian funds. For best rate of exchange on US funds use a Canadian bank. We give a good rate of exchange on US funds and your credit card will offer you a good rate of exchange.

Cancellation Policy

The last thing that we want to do is have you not come for a trip because you don’t get to use your deposit.  However, our spaces and trips are a limited commodity and we do need a certain level of certainty that when you make a reservation, and we tell others looking for that space that its spoken for, that you are going to make your best efforts to show up.  

These are strange times with COVID 19 causing travel problems around the
world – rest assured, you’re not going to lose your deposit.

In regards to our brochure published cancellation policy for 2020 on
page 15.

Cancellation Policy:  90% refund if written notice is given 180 days
prior to your vacation. 70% refund if written notice is given 120 days
prior to your vacation.  If you need to change the dates or destination
during the same calendar year (2020), 100% of your deposit will transfer
to your new trip.  If you need to wait until the next calendar year, and
are closer than the 120 days notice (making it unlikely for us to be
able to re-book the trip), 50% of your initial deposit will be available
during the next two calendar years (2021/2022).

At this point for 2020, we continue to be full blast ahead preparing and
planning for all guests who have reserved packages to be able to make
their trip.  We’re servicing aircraft $$$, buying boat motors $$$,
paying insurance and utilities $$$, hiring staff $$$, etc etc etc $$$  –
We’re planning on ALL of our reserved guests physically being able to
make it to our location to do the trip.

NEW COVID 19 UPDATE to cancellation policy.  If you physically can’t make it to our location because of travel restrictions or the government requires us to temporarily suspend our operations, we both should understand that the issue is beyond either of our controls.

In this circumstance, 100% of your deposit would be made available for ANY
future trip with Air Ivanhoe.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know.

George/Jeanne/Joel/Daniela Theriault

Boats and Motors

Our fleet of boats consists of approximately 300 aluminum boats (mostly 14 and 16ft Lunds) and 200 Yamaha outboard motors.  We have extra equiptment available at all of our locations for all of our guests in the unlikely event of boat / motor problems.  Most of our anglers are fishing 2 adults in one boat.  Children under 18 are most commonly a 3rd or4th in a boat.  You can bring your own boats to our drive in lodge and river cabins on Ivanhoe Lake or rent boats when your here.  All of our fly-in outpost packages include boats and motors.


Guests can bring ATV’s, side by sides, etc to our drive in lodge and cottages on Ivanhoe lake.  There are literally endless ATV trails and old logging roads for you to explore and adventure without having to trailer anywhere.  In other words, you can leave from the front door of your cabin directly on your ATV and ride for days, or weeks, to a different section of trail every day.


At this point, we are simply not setup with proper water, sewer, and electrical connections to properly accommodate RV’s and travel trailers for guests wishing to stay in their vehicles during their trip.  We do however have plenty of free parking for our guests if they wish to park their vehicle at our lodge and then head to a more remote destination for a few days or a week.


Guests can bring canoe’s, kayaks, rafts on their adventure.  We have a limited number of these items available at our drive in lodge and fly in outpost cottages that are free for our guests to use.


We recommend that you use caution on relying on GPS devices to find your way to Ivanhoe Lake. Most GPS devices will take you on the shortest route, which can and will take you on gravel roads. We offer directions from Sault Ste Marie and Sudbury Ontario on our Website and both these routes, will most likely ask you to take gravel roads. Our recommendation is to stay on well travelled paved roads.  Print out your mapquest route and don’t let your GPS take you off the well beaten track

Radar Warning Devices

The use or transport of these devices is illegal in Canada . If they find it, consider it history and you will get fined.

Emergency Messages to Groups

Family should have our phone number in case there is a major problem at home and you have to be there. All group members should have the number 1-705-899-2155. If they call after 10 PM we will eventually answer the phone. During the day someone should answer immediately. Please note that if you are required to depart early from your vacation this is fine, but please remember how many vehicles you have and it may be necessary for the whole party to go home if you only have 1 vehicle. If it is early in the week there is airline service from Timmins BUT YOU WILL NEED A PASSPORT TO FLY HOME. If it is a non-emergency and you need a message delivered to someone at a remote camp then there will be charges for the flight of $500. So please ensure that people will not call unless it is urgent that you go home. If you need to communicate with work while at a remote vacation site then please rent or bring your own Satellite phone. Cell phones DO NOT WORK!!!.

Gas Stations

All major cities have gas stations, so insure that you are topped up prior to leaving them. For Americans we recommend gassing up just prior to entering Canada . Gas is still cheaper in the US . We have Regular unleaded at the seaplane base (Ivanhoe River Inn). Gasoline is sold in Litres in Canada so if we did the math for our US customers if gas is $.1.30 per litre then this would be $1.30 X 3.75 litres (US Gallon) = $4.87 Canadian per US gallon or $4.87 US if the US $ is at par.

Satellite Phones

We offer rental satellite telephones at our drive in lodge for $125 / week with 30 minutes of airtime included.  Additional airtime runs for our costs, about $3 / minute.  These phones are really meant for outgoing calls only as its generally not possible to find a dry location in the camp with electricity with no obstructions above blocking the satellite signals.  To be able to make or receive calls the phone has to be turned on, with the antenna in a completely wide open area (basically not any where inside the cabin).  We have a limited number of satellite phone’s available, so please if your looking to organize one for your trip, reserve the phone at the time that you book your trip.

Rental Boats and Motors

The most important function of an outboard motor is the familiarization of the operator using the motor. The first rule is to check to ensure that the motor is secure to the back of the boat. After that ensure that you have adequate fuel and the hose connection from the tank is secure to the motor. There are also a variety of tanks and if there is a gauge on the tank manufactures will put a breathing hole on the gauge. If the tank has no gauge it must have a breathing device built into the cap. Please open this cap so air will be in the tank. On checkout of a motor with our guests we familiarize them with locations of tilt mechanisms and pins/starting procedures/choke operation/refueling/propeller shear pin location if necessary/ and any little nuances regarding that type of motor. It is relatively fast if all persons are paying attention. Of course we encourage operators to stay away from the rocks/do not drive in the sand/do not tilt motor up using throttle handle/and if the water is shallow lock motor in the up position at the dock. More damage is caused to boats and motors at the dock than any other location. Usually this happens in high winds, so please ensure that boats & motors are secure at the dock and protected from rubbing into one another. Good Boats and Motors are a major investment for the operation.

Cell Phones

Most major cell phone carriers will work in our area of Northern Ontario Canada.  We have cell phone service from our drive in lodge and a few of our fly-in outposts (labelled as such in our brochure).  Cell phones must however be 3G or 4G compliant. What this essentially means is that older phones may not work, and if your carrier is a really small Canadian carrier, it might not work.  Our towers work with Bell and Rogers (and their Canadian subsidiaries) and also with US providers with 3G or 4G technology such as AT&T and T Mobile.

The technical explanation, as per Trip Advisor, is as follows,
“There are 2 basic systems, CDMA and GSM (including AWS, UMTS, HSPA, LTE). GSM is used in most of the world but the North American system uses different frequencies. AWS / UMTS / HSDPA are regarding as 3G.  LTE is 4G. Canadian networks stopped supporting CDMA phones in May 2016.  United States carriers who continue using CDMA after that date  include Sprint and Verizon.  United States carriers which use GSM include AT&T and T Mobile.”


We have functional satellite internet from both our drive in and fly in lodges.  While its not fast, its definitely going to get you through any emails or messages that you need to sort out on your travels.  Many of our guests are using their cell phones as a portable wifi hotspot.  We have cell phone service from our drive in lodge and cottages, the first boat in camp up the river, and about a half dozen of the fly in outposts.  If you need to stay connected to the internet to organize essential business emails on your trip, there are a handful of locations where we can definitely accommodate you.

Nearby Services

Foleyet has fuel, limited groceries and a liquor/beer store, restaurant and a post office. Ivanhoe Lake has nearby lodging and a provincial park. The Ivanhoe River inn has a restaurant overlooking the lake, gifts, bait & tackle, auto and boat fuel, camping supplies, and smiling faces. Major grocery stores are in Wawa, Chapleau, Timmins, Sault Ste Marie and Sudbury.

Pepper Spray/Mace

Bear spray, pepper spray, and mace all cause a lot of problems at the border and most frequently will get confiscated at the border.  If your really extremely worried about bears at your camp, it is possible to buy bear mace / pepper spray in Canada.  We usually have a few bottles in our office that we keep for concerned guests.  In the very rare event that we actually have a bear frequenting at a particular camp, rest assured that we will be certainly be a lot more than bear pepper spray going with your group on the trip.

Fish and Game Act

While fishing or hunting, each adult must have a valid license in his or her possession. It is an offence to have in your possession more than the legal limit of fish or game allowed per license. (This includes your boat/cabin etc.) It is also an offence to allow fish or game to spoil. Be sure that you know what the limits are for the license in your possession. Enforcement officers will patrol using trails and aircraft.

Forest Fire Prevention Act

It is an offence to leave a campfire unattended/smoke while walking or working in the woods/start an open fire in a Restricted  Fire Zone/ignite fireworks without a permit & failure to fully extinguish a fire before leaving it. It is your responsibility to ensure that fires are properly extinguished and if a forest fire results from your negligence, you can be held financially responsible.

Garbage and Recycling

PUBLIC LANDS ACT: It is an offence to deposit garbage on any land or in any water. Garbage that is decomposable (fish entrails/old food etc) should be taken across the lake and dumped in from the shore. All paper/cardboard garbage should be burned (as long as you are not in a restricted fire zone), and any other products should be put in garbage bags to be flown out of the bush.

Border Crossing


Passports are required and these are a few other ideas that should be reviewed. Children under 18 traveling with a one parent should have a letter from the other parent authorization the accompanying parent to bring them into Canada . Children under 18 accompanied by no parent should have a letter from both parents signed. This is if grandpa is bringing a young one. Of course these are all good ideas and at times children are asked questions and a proper response from the child will allow them into Canada . But why not take the time and have extra protection. Also if there is an AMBER alert going on at the border, it will make things easier for you if children are present. Also when you go through customs it is best to: Dress normal/take off sunglasses/put away the cell phones/stop chewing gum/do not smoke and wake everybody up. Most custom agents are fine and just doing there job so be nice and answer the questions and it should be no more than a minute of your life. If you get pulled over for an inspection, it happens and again help them if asked and live with it. It might cost you 20 minutes. Also if you are traveling in Multiple vehicles make a pact that the vehicles that get through meet you up the road somewhere. Do not call these people on their cell phone if they are stopped. Let them call you when they are through.  On another note the Canadian customs agent is probably going to ask you if you have any alcohol or tobacco with you. Each person over 19 years old is allowed either 1 case of beer or a bottle of alcohol. This will include any alcohol that you purchased at the duty free store as well. Be honest and if you are not and customs searches the vehicle ALL ALCOHOL will be confiscated and you will be fined. If you are over your limit then tell them and they will charge you duty on the extra. It is usually about the same amount as if you bought it in Canada . (Pretty smart eh!). On another note regarding alcohol, try and have it separated between vehicles, so that each individual has the appropriate amount of alcohol they are allowed to bring into Canada. If the first 6 persons go through the border with no alcohol and the last vehicle with 2 persons has 8 cases, then they will be charged with 6 extra cases, so spreading it out between each vehicle is a good idea. Ok now that we have dispensed with the alcohol each person over 19 is allowed 1 carton of cigarettes, however this only applies if you smoke. If one person needs two cartons for the week and one person does not smoke he should say he does, and you will avoid duty. (Darn those Canucks at the border). Ok so now you did not lie about your alcohol/tobacco/children and you have a valid ID then there is a possibility that they will run your information through their computers and presto if you have anything on your record, it is available.

Wild Creatures/Wildlife

There are a number of issues in regards to our wilderness creatures. First off we have for large game, bears and moose. No deer are present in the area. For smaller critters and wildlife the most common would be muskrats, beaver, mink, pine martin, squirrels, chipmunks, lynx, fox and wolves. Birds would be all sorts of ducks, loons, eagles and hawks. This is their home so if you need pictures of any of these creatures, give them some space and snap all you want. Our most common question is Bears and the inherent fear that the Discovery channel has put in the public’s eye. Now I would not want to say that bears are harmless, but they are shy creatures that will run from you most of the time. The biggest issue with bears is there are times when they are literally starving and will seek food wherever they can find it. So be a good camper and be aware of this fact. We have never had a bear attack any customers in 32 years, although we have had customers attack bears (go figure), but the prudent and wise individual should give these animals some distance. So please do not call and tell us you need a gun or bear spray. It is more important to not provide these creatures a reason to come to your campsite. . Please do not burn food in the fire pit, since this attracts animals including bears.

Duty Free Store

The duty free stores are open from 7AM-11PM every day during the summer. Visitors 19 years old and older can purchase 1 liter of liquor or wine (40 oz bottle of alcohol), or 388 imperial ounces of beer, (Case of 24 bottles/cans that are 12 ounces.), 200 cigarettes (one carton), 50 cigars and 400 grams of tobacco. These items can also be brought from home instead of the duty free store. You may import more of these items however you will pay duty. Of course returning to the US we believe the laws are the same.

Wilderness Waiver of Liability

Wilderness recreation is not without risk. There are few or no roads penetrating the wilderness areas we operate in. All guests should be aware of inherent risks associated with a wilderness experience. Ex: operation of mechanical equipment including Boats & Motors/Walking & Hiking/Weather etc. It is your responsibility as a guest to ensure that you are participating in an appropriate fashion. There are few incidents in the wilderness but a disproportionate # of incidences is related to alcohol and bad weather. Please note that we carry proper insurance for our aircraft.